Saturday, March 10, 2012

Love, Loss, Family & Cell Phones

I remember this:


This was how we got our information.  This was how we caught up on our family life.  Hours of conversation and stories. Exchanges of hugs and kisses and love.  But that has all changed and life has moved forward.  My late mother tried to prepare me.  She told me often, "Getting old is hell."  And she was NOT a cursing woman!

The family tree has new branches with their own leaves & some leaves have fallen to the ground, while new buds are just emerging.  It is such a mixed message in the heart - joy and sorrow.  I am allowed to participate in a few of the joys, but the older I get the more I realize how much "loss" we have to deal with.


Loss of family members,
Loss of children running through the house,
Loss of child bearing ability,
Loss of traditions & gatherings,
Loss of youth,
... All leaves on the ground.

But I don't want this to be a sad blog.  It's just a fact blog.  We grow old and we observe change and loss.  I think that is one of the crazy things about Facebook -- the Timeline.  I resisted it.  It was hard to maneuver and even harder to load into my phone. Alas, I am getting used to it... okay.. I like it.  I see the value.  We are the new "scribes".


This means that most family gatherings are no longer filled with stories and information and hugs. There is no need for that because everything is out there on the web.  Births, deaths, and marriages are announced FIRST on Facebook.  MANY are the moms, sisters, and others with hurt feelings because we read it "first" in a public post.  We are sent cyber {hugs!!} and pokes.  Our family history is laid out in 3 to 5 sentence posts.

Now the family gatherings are spent with everyone observing the latest technology (looking at their cell phones), surface conversations about sports, movies, or planned calendar activities, and painful forced verbal exchanges about the latest online posts.

I miss the stories told "on stage".  I miss the surprises and announcements with real facial expressions.  I miss the uncomplicated love and hugs.

....... as I charge up my cell phone to head to a birthday party! Guilty as charged.



2 comments:

Becky said...

Good post. So true. Technology is a blessing and a curse, but, well, what can I say -- I am hooked, too. We can't roll back the clock. Still, nothing quite replaces face-to-face.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky...just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your posts. I see that I'm experiencing the same struggles and its comforting to see someone making progress. From Suzan (from KK and Eating Low days).

What's in your Toolbox?

I have had some discoveries lately and thought it might help someone else. I am calling this ALL THE TOOLS IN THE TOOL BOX. I started I.F...